In A Public Place
You may see someone in a public place who you think is at risk of suicide. If it is safe for you to do so, try to follow these steps:
- Send someone else to get help if possible.
- Engage the person in conversation.
- Don’t be afraid to ask if they’re thinking about suicide.
- Listen without judgement and help them talk about what has brought them to this point.
- Reassure them help is available and offer to contact a helpline if they would like you to do this. See the 'Find Help Now' Section.
- Stay with them until help is in place.
- Keep yourself safe - never endanger your safety to help someone else.