Going to see a counsellor can be another way you can look after yourself. It can be very helpful to talk to someone independent who has skills to help you deal with your feelings and experiences.

If you want to try counselling or a talking therapy ask your GP, who will be aware of what’s available locally. Your GP can refer you for talking treatment that is free on the NHS. This will usually be a short course of counselling or CBT from the GP surgery’s counselling service.

If counselling or CBT are not available at the surgery, your GP can refer you to a local counsellor or therapist for NHS treatment.

You can also find private UK counsellors who can help you deal with suicidal thoughts, grief and other issues.