Things To Avoid
When talking to someone about suicide listening is one of the most helpful things you can do. Try not to judge or give advice.
It can be important to remember that it’s not your responsibility to change the person’s mind about suicide, and to know that just being there will help.
- Telling the person why you think they should stay alive (listening is much more helpful).
- Trying to fix the person’s problems or offering solutions to their feelings.
- Trying to cheer the person up or distract them from their thoughts of suicide.
- Saying ‘I know how you feel’.
- Judging the person or their experience.
- Denying their feelings.